So what are you waiting for?
You’re looking at the laptop screen waiting for a miracle
But get real, it’s not going to literally crawl out of the screen
Stop day dreaming and get busy
You dreamt about it, thought about chasing it, but still haven’t caught it
You are the master of your success
So what the hell are you still waiting for?
Your dream won’t chase you and let you catch up if your not already chasing it
Get real, you know your dreams possible; are you willing to keep on pushing
Stop side stepping and get active
Success is waiting for you to take the first step
So what are you sitting there and still waiting for?
Without action, dreams will continue to be a mere figment of your imagination
Just thinking about it won’t make it real
Are you hoping someone else will start it off for you?
Well we both know that’s not going to happen, because they haven’t got the full prospective of your dream for you.
Procrastination, the enemy that stops us from getting where we want to be. How many times have you had a fantastic, possibly revolutionary idea (ding)? However, due to procrastination you put it back on the shelf of your mind and did nothing with it. I know sometimes we may just lack that get up and go; doubt that we can actually make it happen or simply not enough belief in our abilities to see it through. Sadly if you don’t, no one else will. Its so easy to just become a lazy day dreamer who just never quite gets started. But believe me, if you just keep it as a thought and do nothing to execute it nothing will happen. In my late teens/early twenties I had periods of time where I had great ideas but lacked the confidence to make things happen. I’d have an idea, not do anything and then to my horror I’d see someone else do something similar, has that ever happened to you? Thankfully you can start going for it anytime. No matter how long you’ve been putting it off or how many years have flow by ,you can get cracking now.
Procrastination steers us away from getting things done, and being able to put the stamp of approval on saying done. Like I said in a previous post, it’s time to be fearless its time to turn your back on fear and do it anyway. If we let the fear of achievement hold us back we can’t possibly move any closer to success.
There can be some confusion around what procrastination actually is. If you decide not to complete an unimportant task straight away, that’s not necessarily you procrastinating; prioritizing your work load is working smart. If there is something you want or need to complete but you just don’t get started; find excuses not to get going or avoid it all together for fear of not being able to do it right, now that is procrastination.
Waittttt, its not the end of the world tho. Those tasks you have been putting off or goals you have hidden away can still be brought into existence; not all is lost….yayyyyyy. Thankfully you can always get started; even if its been ages, starting is the most important step.
Let’s get started
There are a few ways you can begin to overcome procrastination and move forward on your journey:
- Admit that you are procrastinating- just like AA meetings, you need to face up to the reality that you are procrastinating and decide to make a change
- Figure out the reason why you are avoiding the task at hand– are you doubting yourself? Is the task important to you? Do you need help to complete it? Don’t be afraid to ask for help, asking doesn’t mean your incompetent it just means you need a gently push to get started ,no shame in that
- Consequences of failure to launch– ask yourself what will happen if you continue to put off completing the task? What could you achieve by completing the task? You need to put yourself out there and try new things. It might be scary to complete a new task, but we learn by doing things and if you make a few mistakes on the way that’s cool because, we also learn from our mistakes. Give it a try and see how you get on, you may even surprise yourself
- Create a work smart to do list (this can be paper based or electronic)- don’t just write down loads of things that never get completed. Slim down the tasks you need to complete into manageable steps and hold yourself accountable for ensuring they get done. Tick things off as you complete them. Set yourself a time limit to complete the tasks and work smart to achieve them. O yeah don’t forget to give yourself a reward for all of your hard work; it could be a nice cuppa or luxury chocolate whatever will motivate you to get things done.
- Marvel at your achievement- it feels great when you finally get things done, when a plan isn’t just a plan but actually a working strategy. Give yourself a pat on the back you did it and now your heading in the right direction (keep going)
Your not alone when it come to having moments of procrastination, I’ve been there and so have many others. It’s time we all push procrastination to the back and charge ahead more purposefully.
Radiating positive vibes your way
Love Sade x
P.S- Connect with me on twitter @stayjoyful_uk and keep me posted on your journey to success.. I believe in you